Put Your Trust in an Attorney With a Passion for Helping People SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION WITH OUR EXPERIENCED ATTORNEY

Renewal of Green Card Attorney in Greenbelt, Maryland

Enduring the long process of immigrating to a new country takes a lot of hard work and determination. You’ve already begun your new life as a permanent resident here in the United States and have created new opportunities for yourself and your family. Obtaining a green card is the first step in this process, but it’s equally important to make sure your green card is current and renewed on time. As you probably know, the required steps and necessary paperwork are complex and delicate. It’s a process you want to get right the first time.

At The Anyere Law Firm, LLC, we can help you through all steps of the immigration process including green card renewal or replacement. If you’re located in or around Greenbelt, Maryland, or anywhere throughout Prince George's County, reach out to The Anyere Law Firm, LLC to get started.

Renewing a Green Card?
Contact Us Today

Eligibility for Renewal

If you have an existing green card (also called a Permanent Resident Card), it is either valid for 10 years or two years. Most green cards are good for 10 years, but if you only have a conditional green card, it will be good for two years. Those with a conditional status may have to apply to remove the conditional status or face serious consequences. If you already have permanent status, you could be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship, and we can help you determine whether this is the right choice for you.

There are many reasons why you might need to renew before your green card expires. By law, you are required to carry a valid green card with you at all times to show any authorities that you are in the U.S. as a lawful resident. Since the card lasts for so long, it is common that something might happen to it before it expires and you’ll have to get a new one.

Some reasons you may need to obtain a new card include your current card is lost, stolen, mutilated, destroyed, or has expired; if you’re changing your status between being a commuter and a non-commuter; if your status was automatically converted to a permanent resident; if you have an older version of the Alien Registration Card and need a current green card; if any information on your card is incorrect; or if your biometric information or legal name has changed.

When to Renew

When to renew a green card will depend on when your current card expires and whether your current card is still undamaged. The best time to renew is within six months before your current card expires; however, you can renew it after it has already expired without affecting your status.

If you try to renew any earlier than six months before expiry, then the USCIS may reject your renewal application unless you can show that your information has changed or that you need a new card to replace a damaged or lost older one.

Because the renewal process can take a long time, you should begin as soon as possible. First, you should double-check your eligibility for renewal and then start collecting the necessary evidence.

The Renewal Process

You can begin the process of renewing a green card either online or by paper through the mail. Filing online is generally simpler and allows you to track the status of your application easier than filing by paper. You will need a USCIS account so you can submit your forms, necessary evidence, and fees, send and receive messages, and have access to your entire immigration history and any updates about your application status. The process is similar when you apply through the mail except you will have to keep track of all your paperwork, make copies of your application, and follow up with the USCIS independently if you have questions.

After you submit your renewal application, you’ll get a confirmation from the USCIS that may include a request for biometric data (such as fingerprints or photos) or an interview. Eventually, you will receive notification of their decision, but this can take a long time — several months up to a year.

Because the application is quite long and complex, many people choose to hire an immigration attorney to help them with filling it out, submitting it, and providing any evidence that’s needed. Unfortunately, many applications are denied or delayed because of simple mistakes, and an experienced attorney can ensure your renewal application is complete the first time. Also, if the USCIS does ask for more information after you submit your renewal, a good lawyer can ensure this is taken care of quickly to avoid delays.

Renewal of Green Card Attorney Serving Greenbelt, Maryland

If you’re looking for an immigration attorney in the Greenbelt, Maryland, region who has both professional and personal experience with immigration, call The Anyere Law Firm, LLC. We focus solely on immigration and have a comprehensive understanding of U.S. immigration law that we can utilize to help you achieve your dreams. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.