Put Your Trust in an Attorney With a Passion for Helping People SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION WITH OUR EXPERIENCED ATTORNEY

Consular Processing Attorney in Greenbelt, Maryland

Consular processing is one of the ways to apply for a green card from outside the United States. The consular processing attorney at The Anyere Law Firm, LLC helps immigrants navigate the process of applying for a green card from abroad to secure a favorable outcome.   

From our office in Greenbelt, Maryland, we help clients handle their immigration-related matters throughout Prince George’s County. You can contact us for legal advice if you are currently in your home country and need assistance with consular processing.

Need a Green Card?
Reach Out Now 

Consular Processing 

Consular processing is the process by which an immigrant applies for a green card from outside the U.S. This application process is different from the adjustment of status, which is also known as AOS. Adjustment of status is processed while an immigrant is in the United States, while consular processing occurs at a U.S. Embassy or consulate in the immigrant’s home country.  

If you are applying for an immigrant visa through consular processing, you will have to wait in your home country until you get your visa. In most cases, immigrants become eligible for consular processing by filing an underlying petition filed on their behalf by a family member or employer.  

Who Should Use Consular Processing

When Applying for a Green Card? 

Typically, immigrants who want to apply for a green card while living outside the U.S. will have to go through consular processing. Consular processing is available for the following types of immigration visas: 

  1. When the sponsor is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident: CR1/IR1 spousal and CR2/IR2 child visas; or 

  1. When the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident: F21 spousal and F22 child visas.  

Only immigrants who qualify for a green card should use consular processing. You may be eligible for a green card through employment, marriage, or other means. Consular processing can take several months, but it is still quicker than going through adjustment of status. In addition, consular processing carries a lower risk of refusal. Nonetheless, you may still want to contact a consular processing attorney to help you complete the process and avoid errors.  

Steps of Consular Processing  

The steps to getting a green card through consular processing include: 

  • Determine your basis for consular processing. In most cases, people apply for a green card through consular processing on the basis of a petition filed by a family member or employer. Before filing an application, it is vital to determine whether you are eligible to use consular processing.  

  • File a petition. Have your sponsor (employer or family member) file an appropriate petition on your behalf.  

  • Wait for the approval. Once the petition is filed, you need to wait for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to approve it.  

  • Wait for the National Visa Center (NVC) to process your petition. Once your petition is approved, it will be forwarded to the NVC for processing.  

  • Pay applicable fees and submit documentation. When your petition is processed, the NVC will inform you of the applicable fees. You may also be asked to provide additional documentation.  

  • Wait for an in-person interview. Once you pay the fees and submit the requested documentation to the NVC, your case will be forwarded to a U.S. Embassy or consulate where you will be scheduled to attend an in-person interview. Before the interview, you will be required to complete a medical examination.  

  • Attend the interview. During the interview at a U.S. Embassy or consulate, the consular officer will ask questions about your application in order to decide whether to grant your application. It is important to answer each question honestly because you will be placed under oath.  

  • Get your visa. If the officer approves your application, you will get a visa that allows you to travel to the U.S. The visa is valid for only six months. If you do not enter the U.S. within six months, your visa will expire.  

Given the complexities of the procedures involved, you may want to consider contacting a skilled consular processing attorney to help you throughout the process. At The Anyere Law Firm, LLC, we have the necessary experience and resources to help you handle the complicated steps of consular processing. Our goal is to take the stress out of the process for our clients and go through all the steps of consular processing in the most efficient way possible.

Consular Processing Attorney Serving Greenbelt, Maryland

At The Anyere Law Firm, LLC, we provide reliable assistance to individuals and families at every step of consular processing. Our consular processing attorney in Greenbelt, Maryland, can give you and your family peace of mind in handling your case. If you are considering applying for a green card through consular processing, contact our law firm to learn about your best course of action. Call our office today for a case evaluation.